Monday, August 16

Progress! Kinda . . .

So, I am getting there on the dress for my Halloween costume, Igor's pants just need the zippers (that's right, plural) and I have almost everything else I need except for the gory effects. Still, progress has been slow. I do have a good excuse though: I'm belly dancing! I made my first performance costume and actually danced in public (scary and awesome!). Also, my best friend had to go and get married and I decided the best thing to do was to make her something for her wedding night. So it's not like I've been lazy, just distracted from finishing the Halloween costumes.

First, a few picture of the headdress I made for dancin'. It's mostly lace and a flayed bracelet with two beaded appliques (not made by me) all set securely on a headband.





Here are a couple shots of the headdress (and me!) in action.






I also made myself some *huge* and quite comfy harem pants. They will get a lot of use in the future! As soon as I get a good pic of them I'll post it.

For my hitched friend, I made her what I've since dubbed a "bedroom bustle". This is a fluffy, frilly, frothy bit of silliness that is meant to be worn over something, under something or without anything else at all.




I'm not usually a frilly person, so this was hilarious to make. Yes, it's hard to sew in a straight line when you're giggling.

It can also be worn as a wrap!

With all that done, and it being nearly mid-August(!), it's time to return to the Halloween costumes. My plan is to have the garments done by the end of this month and then spend September perfecting makeup and prosthetics (which may involve working with real pig intestine casings, we'll see as I'm still looking for an alternative for Igor's guts).

Today it seems easy to start thinking about Halloween as it feels like fall. The air is brisk, the sky is a mesmerizing molted gray and I can almost smell the woodsmoke and falling leaves. This summer's been wonderful, and I'm learning to appreciate the sunny season, but I'm getting giddy for autumn to return.

P.S. Finally saw Zombieland - love!

No comments:

Post a Comment